Get Ready for Harlem Miles Marathon Arts Week 2011
The HARLEM Arts Alliance is set to launch the 2011 “Harlem Miles Marathon Arts Week,” with a schedule of special events and exhibitions that will celebrate Harlem’s vibrant arts and culture scene, and welcome the many thousands of visitors that will be coming to New York City this week for the ING NYC Marathon. What a great opportunity to promote and share arts and business in Harlem with fellow New Yorkers and visitors from around the world.
There’s a lot for people to discover in Harlem this week. Harlem Miles Marathon Arts Week will be jam packed with music, film, dance and exhibitions at some of Harlem’s renowned museums, cultural institutions and performing arts venues, as well as good eating at many of Harlem’s fine restaurants.
During the NYC Marathon next Sunday November 6th, Harlem will be jumpin’ with a variety of live music shows featuring RnB, Gosplel, Jazz, Latin and more going on at different locations along the race route. Check out the map!
Event Line-Up for HARLEM MILES MARATHON ART WEEK 2011
Tuesday, November 1st
- Harlem Stage/The Gatehouse presents Venezuela’s El Sistema’s “Simon Bolivar Big Band Jazz“, the world renowned youth orchestra, stage-hosted by Arturo O’ Farrill. Free and open to the public, the performance will take place at Harlem Stage/The Gatehouse, 150 Convent Avenue, New York, NY 10031 (at West 135th Street). Performance time: 7:30PM – 8:45PM, followed by a reception. To RSVP, call the Harlem Stage Box Office at 212-281-9240, ext. 7.
Wednesday, November 2nd
- The Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture presents two exhibitions, “Malcolm X: A Search for Truth” and “Romare Bearden: The Soul of Blackness/A Centennial Tribute.” These exhibitions are free and open to the public from 10AM to 6PM at the Center located at 515 Malcolm X Boulevard, New York, NY 10037 (at 135th Street).
Thursday, November 3rd
- ImageNation Cinema Foundation presents Kinyarwanda: A Multimedia Evening of Short Films, Music, and Discussion with director Alrick Brown and a performance by guitarist/singer Olamide. Select scenes from this Sundance Film Festival winner will be screened. Event time is 7PM – 9:30PM at the National Black Theatre, 2031 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY, 10035 (at 125th Street). This event is free and open to the public.
- Maysles Film Institute presents CariBBeing: Fl@tbushFilm Festival, 2nd Edition, with two films on Guadeloupe and Martinique followed by conversations with the filmmakers. The films are: Talk in One Voice..with Max Cilla by Alain Agat and Christian Foret; and Nou Yorkers by Janluk Stanislas.A ‘Q&A’ with filmmaker Janluk Stanislas and graffiti legend James Top will be moderated by Sophie Saint-Just, followed by a reception sponsored by Color Me Martinique and a dance performance by Catherine Denecy. Event time: 7:30PM – 10:30PM, at Maysles Film Institute, 343 Malcolm X Boulevard, New York, NY 10027. The program is free and open to the public.
Friday, November 4th
- Aaron Davis Hall at The City College of New York presents Lilias White in Concert. Her awards include the Tony, Drama Desk and Outer Critics Circle Awards. She has performed with the Brooklyn Philharmonic and appeared at Carnegie Hall, Lincoln Center and the Kennedy Center. The performance will be held at Aaron Davis Hall/ The City College of New York, 138 Convent Avenue, New York, NY 10031 (at West 135th Street).
Saturday, November 5, 2011
- El Museo Del Barrio presents the exhibition “Bienal” of Latino, Caribbean, and Latin American Artists in the New York area and is open to the general public from 1PM – 5PM. To receive your discount ticket you must mention that you are with the Harlem Arts Alliance/NY Marathon. El Museo Del Barrio is located at 1230 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10029 (at 104th Street).
- The Museum of the City of New York presents two exhibitions: Kevin Roche: “Architecture as Environment” and Cecil Beaton, “A NY Story” and are open to the general public from 10 AM – 6 PM. To receive your discount ticket, you must mention that you are with the Harlem Arts Alliance/NY Marathon. The Museum of the City of New York is located at 1220 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10029 (at East 103rd Street).
For further inquiries contact the HARLEM Arts Alliance at 347-735-4280.