Harlem Meer Festival Summer Concerts in Full Swing
There’s no better way to spend a Sunday summer afternoon than a stroll or bike ride through Central Park, so why not head over to the northern tip of the park on 110th Street between Fifth and Lenox Avenues, where the Charles A. Dana Discovery Center hosts the annual Harlem Meer Performance Festival.
“Meer” is the Dutch translation for “lake,” and I can picture the 17th century European settlers who first inhabited the village of Harlem enjoying this beautiful spot. Of course today the Harlem Meer is the perfect setting for a FREE outdoor concert, so put it on your schedule this summer, showtime is between 2:00 PM – 4:00 PM every Sunday until September 4th, 2011.
Harlem Meer Performance Festival concert schedule:
- June 19: Arturo O’Farrill Afro Latin Jazz Quintet (Latin Jazz)
- June 26: Calpulli Danza Mexicana (Mexican Dance)
- July 3: Los Soneros de Oriente (Cuban Salsa)
- July 10: Stew Cutler (Jazz and Blues Guitar)
- July 17: The Ebony Hillbillies (String Band)
- July 24: Pucci Amanda Jhones with the J.B.E.R. Quartet (Jazz Vocals)
- July 31: Willie Villegas y Entre Amigos (Classic Salsa)
- August 7: The Steven Kroon Sextet (Latin Jazz)
- August 14: Charansalsa (Salsa)
- August 21: Sounds of Deliverance (Gospel)
- August 28: The Dennis Day Ensemble (Soul Jazz)
- September 4: The Pedrito Martinez Group (Afro-Cuban Percussion)